Issues related to the GE motherboard, part number wr55x10942 are quite common. However, from what we understand there is no official recall since this is not considered a safety issue by GE. That said, you might be able to call and get a new controller board sold to you by GE for a small discount. Simply call GE at (800) 749-6629 and tell them you’d like information on whether not your GE refrigerator is under the recall of the wr55x10942 Refrigerator Main Control Board recall. You’ll need to be prepared to give them your GE refrigerator model.
Alternatively, you can still purchase the wr55x10942 from amazon to replace it yourself in about 15 minutes. I’ve included a video of the replacement of the board below.
It is very common for these controller boards to have an issue due to a soldering joint or resistor to burn out. You are visiting this page because you are likely experienced one or more of the following issues with your GE refrigerator.
- A “whirring” or “whining” noise from the back of the refrigerator
- The ice maker/dispenser quits working
- Clicking noise from the rear of the refrigerator
- Refrigerator or freezer stops cooling altogether
- Front control panel quits working
- Temperature fluctuations with cooling/freezing and ice melting/refreezing
- Using the ice or water dispenser the fans stop and refrigerator lights dim
- Fan motor noisy or constantly changing speeds
If you are experiencing a combination of these problems with your GE refrigerator then it is likely the main controller board (motherboard) and it should be replaced immediately. Make sure you enter your refrigerator model number on the amazon wr55x10942 product page to ensure it is compatible with your GE fridge.